Tige 22i Type R
Recommendation: Hard-core Wakeboard
Let's get right to it – this boat is wakeboarding, pure and simple. With four built-in ballast tanks, a standout Type R graphic package and solid, kicky wakes, the Tige 22i Type R knows its purpose: pumping out big wakes for big fun.
Fully weighted with ballast tanks and personal fat sacks, it proved worthy through the double-ups, taking the impact with the solidness of a tank. There's a step-up feature with the rear seat that makes getting to the swim platform (which is massive) easy, as well as a step-up in the walk-through. In the cockpit, the swivel captain's chair and the gauge package make for a nice presentation. The gunwales are Coremat-reinforced and designed to accommodate a variety of towers.
The interior is filled up with … space. Lots of it. The open bow is also roomy, deep and comfortable, with liftable seats for added storage.
Don't let the inboard moniker fool you on the 22i Type R – this boat is made for wakeboarding. Fill the four ballast tanks – two in the front and two in the rear – link up to the tall, solid tower and go huge. Behind our test boat, the wakes were solid with good kick and pop, although not too lippy. The transition was predictable: smooth and solid. Another thing that's great about this boat is that by adjusting the weight or working with the TAPS2 system, the wake is easy to change. This makes it ideal for riders of all types who may have different tastes in wake characteristics. The 22i Type R's unique interior configuration for a direct-drive allows everyone to view the action.
* Large, drainable cooler located under the observer's seat with snap-out carpet in the bow.
* A unique seating configuration with a rear engine seat, side seats and a huge observers seat.
* With the stock ballast system, rear storage is minimum.
* Power Premium System Upgrade includes a power amp, a subwoofer, and component tweeters and midrange speakers.
* This is one boat that will change the way wakeboarders view direct-drive wake performance.