When you're browsing at your local Centurion dealer, the Tornado will jump out at you as the largest crossover boat in the lineup. For skiers, it has a direct-drive configuration for mellow wakes. Wakeboarders enjoy the Storm 1 package standard with tower and graphics in the gelcoat. And everyone — whether parents, kids or friends — will love the 100-inch beam, a rarity among direct-drives. That stretches out the seating in the rear and the open bow, and gives you more room around the engine box.
Other touches are just as appealing to all passengers, including the spacious cooler in the bow walk-through and the cavernous storage compartment under the observer's seat, among the biggest we've seen in this class of boat. Legroom is ample, with a deep foot well in the bow. Pile on options like rear ballast, board racks and Sony stereo to make the Tornado a true crowd pleaser.
Once out of the hole, the Tornado tracks well, and its mild V-bottom hull gets you through chop, although it's a little sensitive to weight distribution. The boat has a wide wake table and there's a slight bump at 22, 28 and 32 off. This boat can take on the slalom course, but we prefer the ride in the open water.
We loaded up the Tornado to get wakes worthy of intermediate riders. Fill up the 250 pounds of rear factory ballast, take out the removable rear bench to make room for additional ballast and you're ready to roll. With respectable wakes in its size class, the transitions are a little short, but they're smooth and poppy.
• Centurion's top choice for a multisport direct-drive that's family friendly.
• Beam is unusually wide, creating welcome space in the interior while maintaining nimble handling.
• Good crossover capabilities from mid-level skiing to intermediate wakeboarding.
• Rear bench comes out for more ballast bag space.
• Front storage under the observer's seat is exceptional.
• Comes with wakeboarding basics that you can upgrade with board racks, ballast, stereo and much more.
Top Speed 44 mph 5,000 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 4.9 sec. 118 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 6.4 sec. 196 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 67 D 69 R, 36 mph 92 D 95 R
Length 21 ft. 6 in. Beam 100 in.
Seating Capacity 9
Fuel Capacity 32 gal.
Test Prop Acme 13 x 11.5 3-blade
Test Engine MerCruiser Black Scorpion 5.7L, 330 HP