When MasterCraft changed the X-Star in 2003, some scoffed. The creation of the unconventional design was a revolutionary step in the boat industry. Since then, the folks at MasterCraft have had the last laugh as they try to crank out enough of these all-star wakeboarding boats to satisfy the overwhelming demand.
To call this 100-inch-beam boat a “party barge” would betray its world-class wakeboarding performance, but you can't escape the fact that the X-Star gets high marks for enhancing the social vibe. The double-pointed “Superfly” bow design opens up the front for more seating space. The Driver's Command Center is also spacious and progressive, with the bullet-shaped X-Pod housing gauges for the tachometer, speedometer and Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro.
Passenger seats on both sides rise like the doors on a Lamborghini to reveal enough storage capacity to stow multiple wakeboards (or the broken bodies of your comrades after they've hit the X-Star's humongous double-ups). Since the ballast tanks are internal, there is room for loads of gear under the rear sun pad.
It shouldn't be a surprise that tour pros have been raving about the setup they get with this boat. MasterCraft engineers built this hull from the water level down, making their first priority elite-level wakes. The result is terraced chines and a wide, tapered V-bottom that throws up massive yet clean wakes that have been a perennial pro favorite. Not only are the transitions long and buttery, with ideally sculpted ramps, but double-ups — despite their massive size — are very smooth. With the ramps the X-Star produces, pro riders are pulling off bigger, cleaner maneuvers in competition, solidifying the X-Star's growing legend in the sport.
• New billet aluminum detail board racks come equipped with a clamping mechanism rather than cumbersome bungees, and swiveling pivots help pull in the boards when it's time to hit it.
• Turning responsiveness becomes a little slower with full-on ballast, but the payoff in wakes is worth it.
• A retractable bow ladder and 10-gallon bow cooler enhance the chill factor.
• The built-in Pure Vert Triple Tank ballast has analog gauges to show you your weight
• This year's crop of X-Stars comes with edgy new graphics.
Top Speed 41 mph 4,850 rpm
Accel. to 30 mph 7.8 sec. 198.4 ft.
Accel. to 36 mph 11.5 sec. 301 ft.
Noise Levels (db) Neutral 60 D 58 R, 36 mph 83 D 83 R
Length 22 ft. 3 in. Beam 100 in.
Seating Capacity 12
Fuel Capacity 53 gal.
Test Prop OJ 13.7 x 17 4-blade
Test Engine Indmar MCX 5.7L,